Liola Patterns Ella Top
Almost a year ago to date, I finished my first Ella Top. It never made the blog, but I do have photographic proof via my Instagram:
Ella Top from Liola Patterns in peach skin fabric from Girl Charlee, 2015
I brightened the photo above for clarity. The fit was almost perfect without modifications (except length)…almost. I ended up giving it away because it was a little tight across the bust. I have wanted a simple woven tank forever but I always feel like my girls will break the shirt.
I recently made another Ella Top but sadly, I’ve forgotten what adjustments I made. I remember that I added some swing to the side seams and changed the hem a bit.
Using a knit fabric for the back alleviated the need for an FBA. I didn’t use the dart placements, mostly because I forgot to mark them. I pinned myself in the mirror and sewed. The busy print makes it difficult to see the dart, but it’s doing what it’s supposed to, like a good little dart should. I think the print placement on this top is even sort of minimizing, in a good way.
I love the fit, although I wish I hadn’t swung the side seams out. It might have caused some fabric pooling in back. I think I’ll make another Ella Top with no adjustments. The knit fabric in back seems to cure the snug bust.
Coincidentally, my second Ella Top was also made with peach skin fabric from Girl Charlee. I love the lightweight drape and the opaqueness of this fabric. It’s perfect for sweaty summers.
I barely eeked out enough bias to finish the neckline and armcyes. This pattern is a quick sew, making the bias tape took longer than making the top.
I love the contrasting back yoke and pleats. Had to get a shot of my favorite part!
Liola Patterns Ella Top in peach skin fabric from Girl Charlee