One Hour Wicked Witch Costume
Today, I’m finally showing my one hour Wicked Witch costume! It was a long road figuring out how to make Bella’s costume, but I’m sharing it it hopes that my trials, errors, and frustrations can help someone else.
When she told me she wanted to be a witch, I was so excited. I thought I’d do an easy tutu costume, complete with glitter and frills. But I’m starting to realize my glittery frill days are over. My hopes of a simple costume were dashed when my daughter told me she wanted to be Theodora from Oz The Great And Powerful.
I knew I didn’t want to make a boned corset, because that would take a couple days; and I had no idea how to construct the crazy shoulders. I started with a princess seam bodice pattern, but quickly realized that it wouldn’t work for the swimsuit fabric I chose. I had to draft my own pattern. Err, sort of completely modify an existing one.
If you read regularly, you know that I’d much rather use a pattern where everything has already been figured out for me. Being spontaneous isn’t my strength. So I was already out of my comfort zone. I had never used swimsuit fabric before, and please believe me when I tell you how incredibly much I hate it. Seething, bitter hatred.
I used the proper needle, bought a walking foot, played with the tension….I’d rather stand in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles than ever use it again. That’s why I made the bodice all one piece. There are 3 seams in this faux corset- the center back and sleeves.
I drafted the spiked shoulders by making a sort of capped sleeve. I cut them on fold; and the plan was to sew a thin casing and insert wire.
Unfortunately for me, “the plan” sucked. My cheapo depot sewing machine decided casings were definitely not going to happen. This is when I wanted to take the stupid thing outside and burn it. The Sewing For Children community on g+ saved my life though, they kept me motivated and had millions of ideas to make this disaster work. (Thank you ladies, I love you!) The final sleeve pattern draft ended up being 3 longer, wider spikes instead of all the smaller spikes above. I was so “over” this costume by this point. I ended up hot glueing the wire in between the fabric layers. That’s when I realized hot glue adheres to this fabric without compromising the stretch or looking bulgy. That was all she wrote!
I hot glued the leather strips on, then the lace in the front, then some ostrich and “crow” feathers at the shoulders. I was careful at the neck and hem to make sure my “corset” would still pull over Bella’s head. Since I spent about 2 days drafting and attempting to sew this costume, then gave up and glued most of it together in 20 minutes; I didn’t even make an underdress. I sewed a jersey skirt and attached it to a black tank top. While I was on a roll; I sewed 2 tubes for the fingerless gloves, cut a thumb hole in each, and hand stitched the finger openings. Done!
So I’ve told you how to make a one hour Wicked Witch costume; now I’ll show you the photos! First, let me set the scene for my photos.
Bella is battling the Wicked Witch. (This is what it looks like in her imagination.) Pardon the shoddy photoshop job.
As a sewist, I’m ashamed of gluing this costume together. The whole thing hurt my pride a little. But I admit that as a mom, I’m proud of how the costume looks, and that my oh so picky child loves it too.
I like how the light shines through her hat in this photo. It’s sort of wicked!
While watching Bella go toe to toe with her imaginary foe, I realize that my little girl can out-witch Mila Kunis any day.
So I’ll close this post as a sewing fail, but a costume win. And big time mommy points!